Google has given $1 million to the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras. For create a new Centre for Responsible AI (CeRAI). On April 27, 2023,The centre is open. Its goal is to help research projects and create data sets for AI that are fair, ethical, and include everyone.
Responsible AI is Key to Addressing Social and Environmental Challenges, says Google
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is quickly changing different areas like healthcare, education, agriculture, and governance. But AI also presents various challenges and risks, including bias, privacy concerns, accountability, and transparency. It is crucial to make sure that AI is developed and used responsibly, taking into account human values and rights.
Google has taken a strong commitment to creating responsible AI use cases. Promoting a trustworthy and innovative culture around it. Through its global AI for Social Good initiative, Google has supported several projects that use AI to tackle social and environmental issues. In India, Google has partnered with organizations such as Wadhwani AI, Pratham Education Foundation, and Wildlife Conservation Trust to apply AI for social good.
IIT Madras Establishes First Multidisciplinary Centre to Advance AI in India
IIT Madras has set up the CeRAI, which is India’s first center that brings together researchers, experts, developers, policymakers, and others to ensure the responsible and customized use of AI in India. The center will focus on four main areas:
- Natural Language Processing (NLP): The center will create NLP models and datasets capable of handling India’s diverse and complex languages. It will also work on reducing biases and ensuring fairness in NLP applications such as speech recognition, machine translation, and sentiment analysis.
- Computer Vision: The center will explore computer vision techniques to enhance healthcare services’ accessibility and quality in India. It will also address the ethical and social concerns related to computer vision applications like facial recognition, surveillance, and biometrics.
- Data Governance: The center will examine the legal and policy frameworks governing data in India. It will develop tools and best practices for collecting, sharing, and protecting data while respecting user privacy and consent.
- AI Education: The center will design AI curricula and courses for different educational levels. It will also conduct outreach programs and workshops to increase awareness and knowledge about AI among various stakeholders.
IIT Madras’ CeRAI to Promote Responsible AI in India
The CeRAI (Centre for Responsible Artificial Intelligence) at IIT Madras. It’s aims to make a significant impact on the development and widespread adoption of responsible AI in India. The centre will focus on the following key areas:
- Advancing scientific research: The centre will conduct cutting-edge research on different aspects of responsible AI. This research will result in the publication of papers, reports, and datasets. It contribute to the global knowledge base on responsible AI.
- Building capacity: The centre will provide training programs for students, researchers, developers, and practitioners. Focusing on the principles and practices of responsible AI. Additionally, it will establish a network of experts and collaborators to facilitate the exchange of ideas and insights on responsible AI.
- Influencing policy: The centre will actively engage with policymakers and regulators to provide valuable inputs and recommendations regarding the governance of AI in India. It will emphasize the importance of incorporating diverse perspectives and voices in the policy-making process.
- Empowering communities: The centre will collaborate with civil society organizations, NGOs, and grassroots groups to understand their specific needs and challenges related to AI. Through this collaboration, the centre will co-design and implement AI solutions that address these problems and contribute to the well-being of these communities.
IIT Madras’ CeRAI: Shaping the Future of AI in India
The CeRAI (Centre for Responsible Artificial Intelligence) at IIT Madras is an important project that will influence the future of AI in India. It aims to promote a well-rounded approach to AI that considers its impact on society. The centre’s goal is to ensure that AI is not just about new ideas, but also about inclusivity, ethics, and putting humans at the center of its development.